
I am so thankful that the Shamrock Shuffle was moved to April 10th this year. Finally some warm weather. It sure beats the last couple years of almost having hypothermia.
This years Shamrock was a special one because 3 of my closest friends were able to run it with me. Oscar Munoz, Andres Ardila, and RJ Puoci. All as Green Guys! Ryan Giuliano of course will always be remembered as one of the firsts, but he is such a talented runner with sponsors, that he is no longer allowed to run races dressed all goofy. I know he wants to race them like that, but he is such a dedicated sponsored athlete.
If you've never done the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle. Do IT!! It is one of the best races in the city. Part because it is the first big race of the season, but also because 40,000+ people run it. Just pray for weather similar to this year.. 2008-2010 were way too cold. We did it right this year. We stayed in the Congress Plaza Hotel which is just one block from the start of the race. (BTW, yes, it is true. The Congress Plaza Hotel is Haunted!) Thank God we did not stay on the south side of the building like Ryan, Jacqui did for the Chicago Marathon 2 years ago. I remember not getting any sleep that night because I kept hearing strange sounds and man was the hallway freaky.
It was especially fun because the morning of the race when we were all painting up in the room, which had a window front that overlooked Michigan Ave, I jumped in front of the window painted all green and started to see people taking pictures up my way.
Where's Waldo? I mean the Green Guy. I have to be honest. Most people say that I'm nuts when they see me as, "The Green Guy", which I have decided is my own character. The first year that Ryan and I did it, we just wanted to stand out and have fun. But now that people have been coming up to me after races and say things like, "I remember you from last year," it makes me want to continue the tradition. So as of now, I will continue the tradition of painting up like a large piece of broccoli. And also continue to take over 1,000 pictures with random people on race day.
If any of you who hopefully read this blog have any of those pictures... I never see them. People always say, "You know you should charge people for pictures with you." To me, its not about making the money, but I have always noticed that they say that directly after they snap a free one. Honestly, I feel like Santa or the Easter Bunny on Shamrock Shuffle Sunday. The race was fun, I enjoyed listening to everyone yelling, "Go Green Guy!"
I ran this year with my good friend Andres. We used to be teammates in cross country and it was good to run with him again. The day ended with a Company Meeting at Dick Pond Athletics (where I work) in which I came dressed as "The Green Guy." May not have been the best of things to wear to a full company meeting, but they enjoyed it, and I thankfully got to keep my job!
Can't wait for next year! Except I'm definitely not staying in a Haunted room the night before..

Never Give Up -
"The Green Guy"
No comments:
Post a Comment